The Dutch Reformed Church building dates from 1847, with a tower completed in 1909. It celebrated a centenary in 2009. Richmond. Central Karoo region of the Northern Cape Province. South Africa. The naming of the town originated in the desire of the townsfolk to honour the then new Governor of the Cape, Sir Peregrine Maitland, who took office in 1844. Maitland declined, suggesting instead that it be named after his father-in-law, the Duke of Richmond. It was officially named Richmond in October 1845.